Performance Mishaps

Chat about any topic related to the music & the industry as well as your dj related topics
Mister Clean
On Track
On Track

Performance Mishaps

Post by Mister Clean »

I think they say that is part of the fun in a live show, but I am certain its gotta be something that makes you about lose your mind, during a live show. Now here's the discussion part: Has this happened to you? or Have you seen it happen with other bands/djs, and how was their recovery? Most importantly do you think it made the performance even better?

DJTrainwreck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Performance Mishaps

Post by DJTrainwreck »

Mister Clean wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:30 pm I think they say that is part of the fun in a live show, but I am certain its gotta be something that makes you about lose your mind, during a live show. Now here's the discussion part: Has this happened to you? or Have you seen it happen with other bands/djs, and how was their recovery? Most importantly do you think it made the performance even better?
This actually happened to me this past Monday on Dance Radio UK. I had used the sync button to make a transition work, as I hadn't given myself enough "look ahead" time. The problem was I was in the 140 bpm range, and the song I was playing was at 70, (it was actually 140 but the softwar read it as 70) and this will work normally. Well...silly me, when I loaded the deck, sync automatically put the track at 140. Everything should be good right? WRONG. Because the track was beatgridded at 70 bpm, this made it double time I did not catch this in time and the double speed track made it to the air, before I realized it. I didn't recover it too well... That time... I actually lived up to my name :lol:. My recovery was definitely not the best. But, rewind to a week before, and the station manager had shared a message with me about what a listener had thought about my set that night and there were a couple of flaws but it was pretty good... for me to say that..is shocking. The listener had caught the set and said they could tell I was playing from my heart. The memorable quote from the message was "For there to be perfection, there has to be flaws" So I do agree with the saying (reluctantly) that some errors in a dj set are perfectly fine, and add for the authenticity of the performance :)

Stix
Rockin' Roller
Rockin' Roller

Post by Stix »

I'm surprised you use sync. :lol: I haven't seen any notable screwups in the shoes I've listened to. In fact I tho the only one that's stand out is a YouTube video. Skrillex was playing and the music stopped, is didn't take him long to recover, and his comeback featured the theme to Indiana Jones :wtf:

DJTrainwreck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJTrainwreck »

Stix wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:29 pm I'm surprised you use sync. :lol: I haven't seen any notable screwups in the shows I've listened to. In fact I tho the only one that's stand out is a YouTube video. Skrillex was playing and the music stopped, is didn't take him long to recover, and his comeback featured the theme to Indiana Jones :wtf:
The Indiana Jones recovery is legendary! And Sync is a tool to be used. and like all things a tool can occasionally get used incorrectly :lol: