Why don’t our parents’ favorite songs resonate with us?

Chat about any topic related to the music & the industry as well as your dj related topics
Mister Clean
On Track
On Track

Why don’t our parents’ favorite songs resonate with us?

Post by Mister Clean »

Often there are times where our parents try so hard to convince us to love the same stuff they heard growing up. Issa no from me dawg. I just can't do this. Am I the odd man out for not liking my parents jams? Or have some of you had this happen?
Lets hear your thoughts on this subject.

Stix
Rockin' Roller
Rockin' Roller

Re: Why don’t our parents’ favorite songs resonate with us?

Post by Stix »

I think that happens growing up because we had so much of it growing up that is background music. At the time we don't really know what good music is and or we as kids develop a dislike (hopefully it's temporary) and it's cringe worthy in our minds and it's not til much later in life that we can actually attempt to appreciate the music of our parents. But I can understand why some might not come around to it

DJTrainwreck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why don’t our parents’ favorite songs resonate with us?

Post by DJTrainwreck »

Mister Clean wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:47 pm Often there are times where our parents try so hard to convince us to love the same stuff they heard growing up. Issa no from me dawg. I just can't do this. Am I the odd man out for not liking my parents jams? Or have some of you had this happen?
Lets hear your thoughts on this subject.
I really didn't have a choice when I was younger, as both the parents would crank their favorite music. But then again I was an odd one... a kid in the 90's listening to songs on the oldies radio station. So for me it wasn't completely awful
Stix wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:46 pm I think that happens growing up because we had so much of it growing up that is background music. At the time we don't really know what good music is and or we as kids develop a dislike (hopefully it's temporary) and it's cringe worthy in our minds and it's not til much later in life that we can actually attempt to appreciate the music of our parents. But I can understand why some might not come around to it
I can agree with this. It took me getting older to like my moms jams. Its kinda funny. A lot of the remixed disco era music I have is because of listening to her stuff. Theres still some that haven't grown on me, but i'll chalk that up to having my own taste :lol: :musiic: